Category: Community

Peeking from behind the mask

24 March 2012 0

Two articles in today’s Melbourne Age newspaper stood out. This one and this one. “Tell the story – the more times you tell it, the better off you’ll be.” This was the advice given to  Brant Webb and Todd Russell, survivors of the Beaconsfield goldmine disaster.  They were trapped underground in a small wire cage…

By Viv McWaters

Good advice

31 August 2011 0

Two things caught me eye in the newspaper this week. Sarah Wilson was writing about trusting the process. She was referring to the creative process – the sometimes messy, unconnected, seemingly random process that we go through when being creative. The secret? Just start. Good advice. And the other was an interview with Eva Cox,…

By Viv McWaters

Community

7 December 2010 2

It is in discovering community that I feel most fortunate, most blessed, most thankful. In general, my community has flourished on-line, and in particular there has been a small, close-knit community that I really cherish. We call ourselves The Slips – a nod to cricket, the only thing we could discover, apart from all coming…

By Viv McWaters

A lost opportunity

1 July 2010 0

Apologies, this is a bit ranty… An information sheet for a local community group arrived in my letterbox today. Here’s a few exerpts: The [group] requires your input and support in order to maintain its vigour and effectiveness and to ensure that it is accurately representing your views. and Please provide us with an up-to-date…

By Viv McWaters

Hastily formed networks

17 April 2010 1

In times of crisis, disaster or uncertainty we often find ‘hastily formed networks’ (HFNs). In researching HFNs, I was surprised to find web sites devoted to ‘how to’. This seems a bit odd to me, and here’s why. A couple of weeks ago the husband of a friend of mine was killed in an accident.…

By Viv McWaters

The heart of connection

14 February 2010 0

When we find, and stay in touch with, people whose ideas and conversations align and challenge, who are generous and willing to share not only their insights, but also their fears and anxieties, questions and musings, whether we’ve met or not, this is the heart of connection. And it’s worth nurturing. Post Script: Checking out…

By Viv McWaters

Living an improvised life

1 February 2010 1

The third and final day of our Playback Theatre Summer Intensive Workshop presented by Melbourne Playback Theatre Company brought together a number of disparate threads – and brought to mind some of the key lessons I’ve learnt over the years from improv theatre in its various forms. Lessons learnt and still being practiced in that…

By Viv McWaters