Category: Community

Participation in the news

18 January 2010 0

Rob Paterson has an interesting post on the differences between growing an audience and growing a community. I think he’s nailed it. “We don’t want a bigger audience – defined as passive transactional consumers of transactional content delivered on our terms. We want to have a deep attachment with our community – defined as their active…

By Viv McWaters

Friends and community

15 December 2009 2

This last week I was reminded just how valuable friends and community are, especially for those of us who (mostly) work alone. I was in India. Chennai. A city of some million people. I asked one of the Indian participants the population of Chennai. To be fair, he wasn’t from there, and his answer was,…

By Viv McWaters

Nick Owen keynote at the improv conference, Portland Oregon

15 November 2009 2

Thought I’d try some live blogging. I’m at the Applied Improv Conference in Portland Oregon with about 100 other people. It’s day two – and Nick is our only keynote. The title of his session is called Touching the Heart: Exploring Core Values through Personal Storytelling. He’s doing some introductory stuff – building rapport with…

By Viv McWaters

Open Space in action

20 September 2009 0

For the past four years or so Fr Brian Bainbridge has been using the principles of Open Space Technology, and the process of OST, to transform the suburban parish where he is the Parish Priest. This is a remarkable story of transformation within one of the most bureaucratic and hierarchical of establishments – the Catholic…

By Viv McWaters